Saturday, October 16, 2010

Blog Prompt #1

The characteristics of a learner in elementary/middle years
English Language Arts(ELA)

Characteristics are those things that every learner in elementary or middle years has but which may not be common to all learners.

Every learner is able to learn; however the way the learner learns may be different from one to another. Developmental levels may be different and personal experience may be different, a learner may learn better individually or in a group.

The Swiss psychologist Jean Piaget developed a theory of learning called the constructivist framework. “Piaget described learning as a modification of students’ cognitive structures as they interact with and adapt to their environment. He believed that children construct their own knowledge from their experiences.” (Language Arts textbook, Tomkins, Bright, Pollard, Winsor-4th edition page 5)

Every learner comes from a family or is involved socially with others, however the family or social aspect of a learners life may take shape in any number of diverse ways. Canada is becoming a very multicultural society and as such ethnic, racial and socio-economic diversity is prevalent in the school systems.

In Lev Vygotsky’s social development theory called sociolinguistics, Vygotsky asserted that children learn through socially meaningful interactions and that language is both social and an important facilitator of learning. (Language Arts textbook – page 8)

As each child has a community, family or social background that they come from these experiences differ from child to child.

As Piaget states he believes learning comes from a child’s own knowledge of their experiences however Vygotsky believes learning comes from a child’s meaningful social interactions.

Learning individually and in a group are both ways in which children learn, however these experiences differ from one child to another based on their own experiences and their own social interactions.


The positive and negative aspects of the BC English Language Arts(ELA) Integrated Resource Package(IRP)-the good, the bad, the ugly

As I read the IRP for Language Arts for the first time I am overwhelmed and frustrated by the internet version and really want to read it in paper format, I am also overwhelmed by the information that is in the IRP. I feel as though the package is made for everyone, catering to every learning style and as such the information is repetitive and overwhelming for someone like myself who is so new to teaching. I understand that there are varying levels of experience and different ways to learn the requirements with each teacher and as such the IRP needs to cater to all of these experiences.

I find the IRP to be very broad and could be taught by any teacher in a number of ways. It would give me a broad base to develop my lessons from and independence to develop the classroom that I want to create which I love as I don’t want to be a paper cut out of another teacher. In saying this however I wonder if there was a more detailed approach in the IRP if students would get a more consistent education. As a beginning teacher I know I’m very different in how I would share to my students than other teachers would be. By being given the independence to develop a classroom that you’re excited about makes for an interesting classroom. As long as the expectations set out by the IRP are met, as a teacher teaching the BC curriculum I would feel as though I’ve been successful in teaching the curriculum. .

In the introduction to the IRP I am told that the “development of the IRP has been guided by the following principles of learning: learning requires the active participation of the student, people learn in a variety of ways and at different rates, learning is both an individual and a group process and learning is most effective when students reflect on the process of learning and set goals for improvements.”(IRP-page 3 for Grade 4) This indicates that the characteristics of a learner and both Piaget’s and Vygotsky’s theories have been considered in developing the IRP. What I haven’t found are detailed ways that these principals can be taught and as a beginning teacher I would feel a little bit more guidance would be appreciated, providing more support.

I also find some of the language very complex and sometimes I would appreciate a more direct approach. In saying that though I am finding as I read further into the IRP I’m finding it to be informative and educational in that it gives me ideas on what to do, what to look for and what to keep in mind when developing my lessons. The IRP doesn’t tell me exactly what to do but it gives me prompts and points me in the right direction. This allows me to be open-minded with my lessons and keeps me on task on what my requirements are as a teacher and allows me to think of ideas for teaching to all types of learners. The section of the IRP called “Considerations for Program Delivery” is a great resource for me in reflecting on what I can integrate into a classroom and what to consider when doing it. I think the IRP is a great reference tool for keeping me on task with what is required in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment